In an effort to update one of my favorite childhood memories (french fries), I adapted this recipe for Veggie Fries from the book "Life-Changing Foods" by Anthony William.
Turnips, celery root, parsnips, rutabagas, carrots, and sweet potatoes replaced the white potatoes. Par-boiled, the chips are then baked in a coating of coconut oil. Minced garlic, fresh herbs and sea salt are added for a second bake at a higher temperature to get a crispy fry. The result was a 'good enough” but not-so-picture-perfect way to satisfy the occasional urge for traditional fries.
Note: Delicious as a side with Toaster Oven Baked Salmon w/ Sweet Chili Sauce or "Kale Mary" Salad w/ Pomegranate Seeds, Pine Nuts, Parmesan & Lemon Olive Oil Dressing.
My Paleo Marin Rating: 4.5 Persimmons
1 turnip, 1 celery root, 1 rutabaga, 2 sweet potatoes, 3 parsnips, 3 carrots, peeled and cut into french fry strips
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup fresh herbs, such as oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
1. In a dutch oven or large put, cover the cut “fries” with water and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, just until they are fork tender. Don’t overcook.
2. Drain the water out of the pan. Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and coat the veggies in the oil.
3. Place veggies on parchment-lined baking sheets (probably 2), and bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, until they start to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and place in dutch oven again, saving the parchment paper. Turn up the oven to 450 degrees F.
5. Toss the veggie fries with the salt, garlic, herbs, and additional tablespoon of coconut oil.
6. Place the amount of fries you are ready to eat on the baking sheets, and bake at 450 degrees F for about 10-15 minutes, until some of the fries have blackened and most are crispy. Put the extra fries in a covered container in the fridge, and toast up in this final step when you are ready to eat them.
#paleo, #veggies #fries #coconut #uglydelicious #twicebaked #healthyeats #sides #frenchfries #glutenfree #dairyfree #nutfree #vegan #vegetarian
My Paleo Marin Rating 1-5 Persimmons
I try out these recipes so you don't have to (and modify them for Paleo where possible). The rating will reflect my opinion of the final result in terms of taste, ease of preparation, nutrition, and sometimes, cost.