Chef Markus Samuelson shared his recipe for English Short Ribs that he served to President Obama when the president came to eat at his Red Rooster Restaurant in Harlem.
A few tweaks for paleo ingredients were still met with gastronomic gusto by the lucky recipients of this very special treat. There was a bit of a "presidential price tag," but preparation was very easy and delicious results are pretty much guaranteed!
My Paleo Marin Rating: 4.8 Persimmons
4 English-cut short ribs (6 oz. each)
(Note: recipe will accommodate up to 8 ribs)
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 teaspoons lemongrass
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger, grated
3 cups beef broth, preferably homemade
1/2 cup plum sauce
1/4 cup coconut aminos
2 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs parsley
2 bay leaves
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
1. Pat meat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add short ribs and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
2. Add onion, carrot, celery, lemongrass, garlic and ginger to the pot. Season with salt and cook, stirring often, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add broth and stir to dissolve any of the brown bits that may be on the bottom of the pot. Add the plum sauce, coconut aminos, thyme, parsley and bay leaves. Combine all ingredients and bring to a simmer. Return the ribs and their juices to the pot. Cover and transfer to the oven. Braise until the meat is fork-tender, about 2 hours.
3. When the meat is cooked through, transfer the meat to a plate. Strain or laden the fat from the liquid, then strain the rest through a fine sieve. Discard the bay leaves and thyme, and transfer the vegetables to a food processor. Process the vegetables until smooth, then add 1 1/2 cups of the braising liquid and pulse to combine.
4. Return the sauce to the dutch oven and taste for salt and pepper. Add short ribs and coat in sauce. Set aside until serving.
5. Reheat short ribs in sauce when ready to serve. Place short ribs on plates and spoon sauce over each serving. Put remaining sauce in a bowl and serve with ribs.
#paleo #shortribs #ribs #meat #maindish #obama #marculsamuleson #redrooster #glutenfree #dairyfree #alcoholfree
Recipe adapted from the Epicurious website here.