Sunday, April 4, 2021

Asian Marinated Eggs á la Christina Tosi

Marinated soy eggs are traditionally associated with either Chinese or Japanese cuisines, so leave it to an American chef with Italian heritage, Christina Tosi of Milk Bar, to create a recipe that was not only the most liked egg recipe of all time on the popular Food52 website, but also one of the 10 most popular recipes on their entire site. 

Tosi's marinated egg recipe produces an unforgettable - yes, addictive - mouth feel of creamy yolk in a salty umami pocket. Serve the eggs as an appetizer, snack, on toast, or - my favorite - added to a bowl of ramen soup.

My Paleo Marin Rating: 4.6 Persimmons*

Note: The eggs take up to 6 hours to marinate in the refrigerator.

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons warm tap water

1 tablespoon sugar

2 tablespoons sherry vinegar

3/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium (cut marinating time shorter than 6 hours if using regular strength), or for paleo, try coconut aminos or tamari sauce 

6 large eggs (optional, add 2 extra eggs in case the crack in the pot)

For toppings: Maldon salt, toasted sesame seeds or black pepper, optional

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, whisk together the warm water and sugar to dissolve the sugar. Whisk in the sherry vinegar and soy sauce.

2. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Carefully lower the eggs into the boiling water and boil for exactly 6 minutes and 50 seconds. Stir the water slowly for the first 1 1/2 minutes to spread the heat around all of the eggs.

3. In a medium bowl, add water and ice. When the eggs are cooked, immediately place them in the ice bath to cool down. Peel the eggs when they are cool enough to handle.

4. In a container or bowl that will allow the marinade to rise up as high as possible around the eggs, gently place the eggs in the container and put a small plate or ramekin on top to submerge the eggs. Marinate for 6 hours, or at a minimum 2 hours.

5. Remove the eggs from the marinade. To serve, cut the eggs into halves or quarters and season with pepper, Maldon salt and sesame seeds, if desired. Eggs can be stored in a tightly covered container for up to a couple of weeks.

#paleo #eggs #glutenfree #dairyfree #Japanese #Korean #Chinese #soymarinatedeggs #MaldonSalt #coconutaminos #tamari #MilkBar #ChristinaTosi #Momofoku #recipes #healthyeats

Recipe adapted from Food52 website here.

*My Paleo Marin Rating between 1-5 Persimmons

I try out these recipes so you don't have to (and modify them for Paleo where possible). The rating will reflect my opinion of the final result in terms of taste, ease of preparation, nutrition, and sometimes, cost.




3 comments:

  1. With such a precise boiling time for the eggs, does it matter if they are cold, just out of the fridge, or do they need to sit out for a bit before cooking?
    A Florida Fan of your site

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Florida Fan, I had the same thought about the temperature of the eggs. The original recipe (and 4 other recipes I just checked) do not say "room temperature" eggs.

    For me, I let the eggs sit out while I made the marinade (which took the edge off the chill), but they were still cold to the touch as I put them in the water. They also looked small to me, so I doubled checked the carton - they were large eggs. The eggs also probably cooked an extra 4-5 seconds by the time I set the timer at the beginning, and got the spider skimmer to take them out of the water at the end. Maybe it was beginner's luck, but they were cooked perfectly.

    Large eggs weigh 2 oz. If you are using eggs other than from the market, you might want to weigh an egg and add on extra seconds. If you have the time, you could do a test egg.

    Hope this helps!

    My Paleo Marin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy local eggs from my neighbor, so I will weigh them on my USPS scale to see if they are more/less than 2 oz. Thanks for your detailed response. Eggs are my favorite food, and you've convinced me that this recipe is a good one.

    ReplyDelete