The gluten free flour doesn't have a lot of rise, so I baked the cake recipe twice. It would also be fine with just two layers as the beautiful colors and delicious blending of flavors would still be the standouts.
My Paleo Marin Rating: 3.6 Persimmons
For the Cake:
1 1/2 Cups Califia Almond Milk, Unsweetened, Minus 3 tablespoons
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 cups Cup4Cup gluten free flour, minus 6 tablespoons
6 Tablespoons Arrowroot Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
1 1/2 Sticks grass fed butter (or your favorite non-dairy butter substitute), room temperature
3/4 Cup pure cane sugar
2 Tablespoons lemon zest
3 Large eggs
1/4 Cup fresh lemon juice
For the Icing:
12 Ounces Daiya Cream Cheese Style Spread, dairy free
1 stick unsalted grass fed butter (or your favorite non-dairy butter substitute)
1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
1/2 Teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
2 1-pint baskets of strawberries, most hulled and sliced vertically in thirds, some whole berries set aside for the top of the cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (or for my old gas oven, 375 degrees F). Butter 2 8" cake pans, cover the bottom with a circle of parchment paper, and butter all surfaces again. After a light dusting of flour, set aside. Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven.
For the Cake:
1. To the almond milk, add the 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Set aside for 10 minutes (non-dairy buttermilk substitute).
2. To a large sifter, add the flour and arrowroot powder. Sift 4-5 times, alternating bowls. Measure out 3 cups of the sifted flour in a large bowl (cake flour substitute). Add the baking soda, baking powder and salt; sift one more time.
3. In a stand mixer, beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the lemon juice until the mixture is well combined.
4. Remove the mixing bowl from the stand mixer. Add about 1/4 of the dry ingredients, followed by 1/3 of the almond milk mixture, alternating the dry and wet ingredients, ending with the dry ingredients.
5. Divide the batter into the 2 prepared pans. Tap the pans on the table to smooth out the batter. Bake for 15 minutes, then switch the cake pans from front to back. Bake another 15 minutes, and switch the placement again. Check for a browned top and browning around the edges of the cake as the layers pull away from the sides. A wooden skewer should come out clean. If not cooked, through rotate the pans for another 15 minutes. My oven took about 60 minutes for both layers; an electric oven may cook quicker.
6. Place the cooked cakes on a rack to cool for 15 minutes. Turn the layers out, peel off the parchment paper. Fully cool the layers on the racks.
7. If more layers are desired, wrap the cooked layers in plastic wrap and store at room temperature. Make the cake recipe again. Use the extra layer on the cake (4), or freeze to eat later.
For the Icing:
1. In a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese style spread and butter (or butter substitute) until light and fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar and lemon zest. Mix until creamy.
For a 3 layer cake:
1. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Cover with icing and a packed layer of freshly cut strawberries. Add another cake layer and cover with icing. Cover the icing with strawberries. Add the third layer, place icing on top and down the sides. Smooth out with an icing spatula to leave a thin layer of icing around the sides. Decorate the top with whole strawberries and cut flowers as desired.
For a 2 layer cake:
1. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Cover with icing and a packed layer of freshly cut strawberries. Add another cake layer and cover the top and sides with icing. Smooth out the top and sides with an icing spatula to leave a thin layer of icing around the sides. Decorate the top with whole strawberries and cut flowers as desired.
Store covered in the fridge for about 2-3 days.
#paleo #cake #glutenfree #dairyfree #lemons #strawberries #shortcake #icing #dessert #holiday #MothersDay #Daiya #Cup4Cup #almondmilk #grassfedbutter #EarthBalance #InstaCake #InstaFood #buttercream #cakes #patisserie #cakelover #Epicurious
Recipe adapted from the Epicurious website here.