“People who like our green beans LOVE our Romano beans,” they said. “Just cook them a little longer - they are delicious!” said another customer in line. They suggested I try these classic beans with pesto, so after a quick Google search, I picked up some arugula and mint and headed home.
Also known as Italian Flat beans, Italian Pole beans and the Queen of Snap Beans, you can find these legumes at Farmers’ Markets and speciality shops only during the summer months. Pick your favorite recipe, but don’t miss out on yet another good reason to love summer!
My Paleo Marin Rating: 4 Persimmons*
1/2 cup raw, skin on almonds (divided)
12 oz. Romano beans
4 qts. water
2 tablespoons salt
12 oz. snap beans
Juice of 2 lemons
3 cups baby arugula
1 cup fresh mint
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 oz. parmesan, shaved (1/2 for pesto; 1/2 set aside for garnish)
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons water
Salt & Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Place all of the almonds on a baking sheet, and roast 8-10 minutes until they turn a darker shade of brown. Watch carefully so they do not burn. Let cool, and divide in half. Roughly chop 1/2 the almonds for garnish, and set both aside.
2. Bring 4 qts. of water to a boil. Add the salt. Add Romano beans, and blanch just until tender, about 5-6 minutes, depending on the size of the beans. With a slotted spoon, move the beans to a prepared ice bath.
3. Add the snap peas to the boiling water, and blanch for about 45 seconds, just until the color turns a bright green. Add to the ice bath.
4. When cool, drain the beans and pat dry. Set aside.
1. In a food processor, add the whole almonds, 1/2 of the parmesan shavings, arugula, mint, and garlic clove; mix until a smooth paste forms.
2. Drizzle in the olive oil until well combined. Add 2 tablespoons water and mix.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.
1. In a large bowl, toss the Romano beans and snap peas with the fresh lemon juice. Add 3-4 heaping tablespoons of pesto, and mix well. Taste for seasonings.
2. Place on a serving plate, and sprinkle chopped almonds and cheese shavings on top. Add lemon wedges to the side.
#paleo-inspired #romano #snappeas #vegetarian #vegetables #healthyeats #Italian #farmersmarket #Iaocopi #Iacopifarms #food #diet #recipes #veggies #cooking #salad #maindish #cleanfood #cleaneating
Recipe adapted from Bon Appétit website here.
*My Paleo Marin Rating 1-5 Persimmons
I try out these recipes so you don't have to (and modify them for Paleo where possible). The rating will reflect my opinion of the final result in terms of taste, ease of preparation, nutrition, and sometimes, cost.