Substituting sugar-free bacon bits for the parmasean cheese and gluten-free bread crumbs for the panko didn't take anything away from the final result.
Enjoy this easy recipe for a light summer “anytime” meal. No one will even know it’s “paleo."
6 bacon strips, preferably no-sugar added
5 tablespoons olive oil (separated)
1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup chopped flat parsley
1/8 plus 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, separated
1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed
4 large eggs
Finishing salt (Maldon or Fleur de Sel) and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
1. Brown the bacon in a frying pan. Put on paper towels to drain, and responsibly dispose of bacon grease. Chop bacon into small bits when cool.
2. Wipe the frying pan. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to medium. Add the bread crumbs and stir to slightly toast, a couple of minutes. Pour into small bowl to cool.
3. To the cooled bread crumbs, add bacon bits, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, chopped parsley, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Stir to mix well.
4. Wipe the frying pan. Add 2 tablespoons oil, and heat over medium high. Add the asparagus spears and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Turn the spears frequently and cook until they are slightly browned and starting to get limp, about 4-5 minutes. Insert a fork in the thickest part of the stem to make sure they are cooked through. Divide asparagus among 4 serving plates. Sprinkle asparagus with some of the bread crumb mixture.
5. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan. Fry 2 eggs, scooping oil over the eggs with a spoon until the whites have set but the yolk is still runny. Place 1 egg over asparagus (2 plates), and cook the remaining 2 eggs. Put these eggs on the last two plates over the asparagus.
6. Sprinkle remaining bread crumb mixture over top of eggs. Add finishing salt and pepper to taste.
#paleo #bacon #glutenfree #dairyfree #veggies #healthyeating
*Recipe adapted from Giada de Laurentiis’ recipe in the August Food & Wine Magazine.