Sunday, July 22, 2018

Left Bank Roasted Beet Salad w/ Warm Goat Cheese Dressing

Making this dish was like taking the Technical Challenge on the Great British Baking Show: you get the ingredients, no instructions, and hope for the best.

I returned to the Left Bank Restaurant to taste test their beet salad one last time before I tried to make it. I had 4 XL beets in the fridge; a newly-purchased 2 1/2" metal ring for shaping; and a stack of downloaded recipes as guidelines.

The salad was not on the menu.

"I have no idea why," the maitre'd who took our order said. "I came in one day, and it was gone." I explained I had a couple of questions about what was in it, and he said he would check with the chef.

He returned with a list of ingredients in each step (much fewer than I expected). I researched the best way to roast large beets (tent city), experimented a bit with the marinade and goat cheese dressing, and - to my amazement - pretty much duplicated the delicious dish in the restaurant!

If I can do this, you can step up your cooking game, too. Of course, not without many merci beaucoups to the chef for generously sharing his recipe.

My Paleo Marin Rating: 5+ Persimmons

Ingredients:

4 extra-large beets (at least 3" wide), tops removed and scrubbed clean

1/2 cup walnut halves

Marinade:

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons sherry vinegar

Goat Cheese Dressing:

6 oz. goat cheese
1 teaspoon water
4 tablespoons non-dairy yogurt, preferably Kite Hill
salt & pepper to taste

Topping:

Chopped chives

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Place a sheet of foil on a baking sheet.

1. Place a layer of foil under each beet, and then one on top. Crimp edges to form a foil tent. Place on the baking sheet, and bake for 45 - 60 minutes until a fork can easily be inserted in the beet. When cool enough to handle, peel the beets, slice into 1/4" thick slices, and shape each slice with a 2 1/2" metal mold.

2. Toast the walnuts in a frying pan for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly just until they slightly change color. Set aside.

3. For the marinade, whisk together the oil and vinegar. Set aside.

4. For the goat cheese dressing, whisk together the goat cheese and water. Whisk in the yogurt, taste for salt and pepper. Set aside.

To Serve:

5. Dip a slice of beet in the marinade to coat. Drain on a paper towel. Place the beet slice on a plate, sprinkle with walnuts, and repeat with two more layers of beets.

6. Heat the goat cheese dressing slowly in a small pan. Scoop one spoonful on the side of the beet. Top with chopped chives.

Serves 4.

#paleo-inspired #beets #leftbank #goatcheese #salad #gourmet #recipe


My Paleo Marin Rating 1-5 Persimmons
I try out these recipes so you don't have to (and modify them for Paleo where possible). The rating will reflect my opinion of the final result in terms of taste, ease of preparation, nutrition, and sometimes, cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment