These bundles of apples, pecans, almond milk and cinnamon are a warm and satisfying harbinger of the upcoming fall season.
After baking, sprinkle with powdered sugar, or top with coconut milk whipped cream (recipe here).
My Paleo Marin Rating: 3 Persimmons
1 pound brioche loaf, cut into 1/2" pieces (gluten free if possible)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter (or ghee for dairy free)
3 small Jonagold apples, cut into small pieces (about 3 cups)
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup apple cider or unfiltered apple sauce
3 cups Califia Farms Original Almond Milk
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 cup pecans, toasted in 350 degree F oven for 5 -10 minutes, or until lightly browned, then chopped into small pieces
Juice of 1 lemon
1 box PaperChef Parchment Lotus Cups, or 12 ramekins
|Photo downloaded from Internet|
Powdered Sugar (topping)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Spread the bread pieces on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the bread is lightly golden and dry.
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter. Set aside 2 tablespoons in a separate bowl to use for topping before baking.
3. Add the apples and 1/4 cup of sugar to the pan; cook about 15 minutes until the apples are cooked through, stirring frequently.
4. Stir in the cinnamon. Add the apple cider, and cook down until a syrup forms, a couple of minutes.
5. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the milk and 1/2 cup sugar, and whisk together. Add the vanilla paste, bread and apple mixture and toss until evenly coated. Stir in the pecans and lemon juice. Let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes, or until everything blends together.
6. Place the lotus cups on a lined baking pan, or lightly butter the ramekins. Add 1/2 cup of bread pudding mixture in each cup. (Note: I used large paper clips kep the cups upright). Sprinkle dots of the remaining butter on top throughout. Bake for about 50 - 60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. The top will be golden brown.
7. Remove baking sheet and let cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove paper cups (or ramekins) and let cool on rack for another 10 minutes. When ready to serve, sprinkle powered sugar on top. Or, serve with coconut whipped cream.
Makes 12 bread pudding cups.
#breadpudding #apples #almondmilk #pecans #glutenfree #dairyfree #9/11
Adapted from Food & Wine "Apple Bread Pudding" recipe.
*My Paleo Marin Rating between 1-5 Persimmons
I try out these recipes so you don't have to (and modify them for Paleo where possible). The rating will reflect my opinion of the final result in terms of taste, ease of preparation, nutrition, and sometimes, cost.