The almond extract flavoring and denseness of this cake evoked images of sitting in a garden in Tuscany with a glass of red wine and, perhaps, Strega Nona? No matter where you are ~ Buon Appetito!
|Everyone’s Italian Grandmother|
1 cup raw almonds
1/4 cup pure cane sugar + 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
1/4 cup gluten-free flour, preferably Cup4Cup
1/2 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
8 - 10 figs
Preheat oven to 375 degrees, F. Butter a 9” pie pan and set aside.
1. In a food processor, add the almonds and 1/4 cup sugar. Mix for about 30 seconds, until almonds are finely chopped.
2. Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in the food processor and pulse a few times until well mixed.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until they are light and fluffy. Whisk in the melted butter, honey, and almond extract until combined. Pour into buttered pie pan.
4. Cut the figs in half lengthwise, and press each half into the batter. Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar on top.
5. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool.
#paleoinspired #figs #cake #glutenfree #dairyfree #Italian
Recipe adapted from the Butter Loves Company website.