We made this Poppy Seed Pound Cake together - and paired with the dozen red roses she spontaneously brought home to me one afternoon - created wonderful memories of our time together. She’ll be leaving for college next fall.
If you’re looking for something special to share with your loved ones, or just for yourself(!), I’m sure you will enjoy this recipe adapted from the Against All Grain Cookbook.
1/3 cup Spectrum palm shortening, plus extra for greasing cake pan
3 tablespoons coconut flour, plus extra for coating cake pan
3/4 cup honey
2/3 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups almond flour, blanched is best (I used bin flour from Whole Foods)
1 teaspoon sea salt
5 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
Option 1: My daughter used 1 bar of melted white chocolate (contains dairy) and 1/2 cup powered sugar
Option 2 (original recipe): 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons finely ground cashews, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted and cooled, 2 teaspoons honey, melted and 1 tablespoon coconut milk (non-dairy)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
1. Grease the pan well with shortening and then coat every surface with flour.
2. In a food processor or high speed blender, add shortening, coconut flour, honey, almond milk, lemon juice, vanilla, almond flour, baking soda and sea salt. Blend until smooth for about 15 seconds.
3. Add 1 egg at a time, blending until all are mixed into batter.
4. Put batter in bowl. Gently fold in poppy seeds and zest.
5. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake on rack in oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (our oven took another 10 minutes).
6. Cool baked cake on a rack for 15 minutes. With a spatula or knife, gently ease the sides, then turn upside down on a plate.
Option 1: When the cake has totally cooled, melt the white chocolate in a double boiler and pour over cake. When cooled, add powered sugar on top.
Option 2: Whisk together the ingredients and drizzle them over the top and sides of the cooled cake.
#paleo #glutenfree #dairyfree #cake #valentines #dessert