- 1 package standard-size nori sheets ("seasnax" brand is organic and gluten-free)
Pickled Carrot Strings:
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sriracha hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free)
- 1 package imitation crab meat, cut into 1/2" thick strips (may contain traces of soy)
- 2 small Persian cucumbers, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 Haas avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into thin slices
1. For the Pickled Carrots, mix the wet ingredients and salt in a bowl. Submerge the carrots in the brine. Chill for at least 30 minutes. Drain a handful of carrots on a paper towel before using. (Return the rest to the fridge; they will keep for up to a week.)
2. Mix the ingredients for the Spicy Mayonnaise. Set aside.
3. Lay out a nori sheet. Add the filling on the diagonal. Spoon mayonnaise over the top of the filling. Add some carrots.
4. Roll up the nori by folding up the bottom over the filling, then wrapping the sides to form a cone. Repeat.
Makes 5 servings.
Optional: Substitute 1 pound of fresh crab for imitation crab ($$$)
* Recipe adapted from the nom nom paleo cookbook.