Sunday, January 7, 2018

Chocolate-Pumpkin Bread (Low Sugar)

How low can you go? That’s the question I always ask when I make a recipe that calls for sugar.

For my taste, a cake doesn’t need more than a 1/2 cup. Coconut sugar has more of a flavor punch than white sugar, and works well in medium to dark color baked goods. If you want to keep a lighter tone, cane sugar works better.

Europeans prefer less sweet in a dessert, often just having fruit. But for those times a baking project is at hand, look for hidden sugars (for example, in the chocolate chips or fruit), and start with cutting the sugar amount called for at least in half.

My Paleo Marin Rating: 3 Persimmons

Ingredients & Instructions:

Follow the New York Times’ cake recipe here for “Chocolate-Pumpkin Layer Cake,” substituting 1/2 cup of coconut sugar for the 1 1/2 cups of white sugar. Bake in mini loaf pans until loaves are brown on top and a skewer comes out clean.

Mini-loaf pans from Amazon here

#paleo #chocolate #pumpkin #bread #quickbread #dessert #pecans

My Paleo Marin Rating 1-5 Persimmons
I try out these recipes so you don't have to (and modify them for Paleo where possible). The rating will reflect my opinion of the final result in terms of taste, ease of preparation, nutrition, and sometimes, cost.



No comments:

Post a Comment