Turns out they are lingonberries, previously seen by me only in tinted-glass jars of Ikea jam. I mail ordered the frozen berries from Oregon, and shared half of the 3-pound minimum with a friend who made a lingonberry spread that was also good as a topping.
Fresh and colorful, the lingonberries add a tart balance to the sweetness of the curd. However, the dessert is just as good - and much more economical - with any combination of fresh blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries.
My Paleo Marin Rating: 4 Persimmons
2 Tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
1 cup fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup cane sugar
6 large eggs
Pinch of kosher salt
1 stick of butter (8 Tablespoons), chilled and cut into pieces
2 cups fresh mixed berries
1. In a large pot, add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Combine over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat to cool to a temperature still warm but not hot enough to curdle the eggs in Step 2.
2. In a large bowl, add the cracked eggs, salt and the remainder of the sugar. Whisk constantly for about 1 minute until the eggs are light and frothy. Gradually add in about 1/4 of the warm lemon juice mixture to the eggs, and whisk constantly until combined.
3. Gradually whisk the remaining egg mixture into the pot with the lemon mixture, and cook over low to medium heat, stirring constantly, until the curd thickens enough to see the lines of the whisk, about 1 - 2 minutes.
4. Pour the curd into a blender. At medium speed, add butter pieces one at a time. When all the butter is absorbed, transfer to a nonreactive bowl, cover the top of the curd with plastic wrap and press to the top so a film doesn't form. Allow curd to cool for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Curd can be stored for up to 2 days.
5. To serve, add the curd to plates and top with washed fresh berries.
Optional: Berries can be mixed with an additional 1/4 cup sugar for a half hour prior to serving, if desired.
#paleo #lemon #curd #lingonberries, #berries, #blackberries, #strawberries, #dessert, #fruit, #recipes #ikea
Recipe adapted from Bon Appétit here.
My Paleo Marin Rating 1-5 Persimmons
I try out these recipes so you don't have to (and modify them for Paleo where possible). The rating will reflect my opinion of the final result in terms of taste, ease of preparation, nutrition, and sometimes, cost.