This “Buckwheat and Almond Chocolate Cake” by Beatrice Peltre in La Tartine Gourmande - Gluten Free Recipes for an Inspired Life, is her “go to” recipe when her family wants a Little Chocolate Cake.
Note: This tends to be a dry chocolate cake, perfect with coffee or tea. For a denser chocolate experience, try the Chocolate Soufflé Cake.
9-inch round cake mold
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the mold
3 1/2 oz. bittersweet dark chocolate (70% cocoa), or chocolate of choice
4 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup coconut sugar, or pure cane sugar
Pinch of fine sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup almond meal
Confectioner’s Sugar for dusting the finished cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut a round piece of parchment paper to cover the bottom and sides of the cake mold. Butter the mold and line it with the parchment paper; set aside.
2. Grind the slivered almonds in a food processor to make the almond meal.
3. In a medium-sized pot, bring 2” of water to a boil and then reduce it to simmering. Put a smaller pot on top (not touching the water), and melt the butter and chocolate together. Set aside to cool.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar and sea salt until light in color and doubled in size. Gently fold in the vanilla and melted chocolate mixture with a flexible spatula.
5. Sprinkle the buckwheat flour and almond meal on top and carefully fold until everything is mixed.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a knife in the center comes out clean.
7. When the cake is done, cool the cake pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Then turn the pan upside down on a plate. Remove the parchment paper and turn the cake right side up on a serving plate.
8. Lightly sprinkle the top with powdered sugar and serve.
Optional: Coconut Whipped Cream topping, see previous post “Himalayan Mousse.”
*quote from Wikipedia, “Black Givenchy dress of Audrey Hepburn.”
#chocolate #cake #dessert #glutenfree #dairyfree #latartinegourmande