|Photograph downloaded from Amazon|
The first cookbook is Vibrant Food, Celebrating the Ingredients, Recipes, and Colors of Each Season, by Kimberley Hasselbrink. Beautiful photography highlights the colors of the seasons through the soft colors of spring, the bold colors of summer, the rich colors of fall, and the deep colors of winter. See www.theyearinfood.com for Ms. Hasselbrink’s award-winning blog.
|Photograph by Wendy’s husband|
The first home cook is Wendy, who “volunteered” to chose a recipe from Vibrant Food when she asked, “What should I make for dinner tonight?” Wendy chose a recipe for Thai Chopped Salad with Tofu that she said tasted really good - and she’s already made it again!
1 (16 oz) package extra-firm tofu, drained (contains soy)
1/4 cup coconut aminos, or low-sodium tamari (contains soy)
2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons roasted red chili paste
2 teaspoons natural cane sugar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil for frying tofu
Juice of 2 limes, plus zest of 1 lime
3 tablespoons Red Boat fish sauce
3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar, or brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cups small okra, blanched and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds, or snow peas
2 cups sliced green beans
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
2 cups cubed cucumber
1/4 cup fresh mint leave
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
Chopped red pepper (optional)
2 heads Little Gem or butter lettuce, rinsed and torn
1 small Thai red chili, seeded and thinly sliced
|Photograph by Wendy|
1. Put the tofu between two plates with a weight on top for 30 minutes to allow the tofu to drain.
2. Whisk together the ingredients for the marinade. Dry the tofu with paper towels and cut into 1” cubes. Put the tofu in a bowl and cover with the marinade. Cover, chill and marinate for at least one hour, or overnight.
3. When the tofu is ready, heat the oil in a frying pan. When the oil is hot, add the tofu pieces. Cook for 10 - 15 minutes on medium heat, turning every 3 minutes or so, until they are deeply browned. Set aside.
4. Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
5. Put the chopped vegetables in a bowl. Add about 2/3 of the dressing to coat the salad and toss.
6. Put the salad in a bowl lined with the lettuce leaves. Top the salad with the tofu, cilantro leaves and red chili.
#thaifood #lowcarb #tofu #salad #vibrantfood